Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Since I...

Showed my "not favorite" spindles recently I thought it only right to show my favorite


which is the green textured top whorl (the other is my first spindle that my dad made when I was about twelve). I purchased it at a yarn shop in a small town near State College, PA. A friend of the owner is a ceramic artist and made these beautifully designed and glazed whorls for her. It was originally a bottom whorl but the top of the shaft cracked meaning the hook had to be placed on the other side. Fortunately, the squirrel and vine pattern was on both sides so there was no harm done.

The reason I like it is that it's very heavy. This means that it spins a *very* long time unlike the tiny one that I showed in an earlier post. It is actually heavier than the much larger wooden one next to it which I usually use resting on the floor since it's so long. All in all, I still prefer my wheel but for overall beauty, ease of spin, and portability this one is by far my favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment